Special education basics
The number of students identified and placed in “special education” grows each year. This classification is often clouded in mystery with its unique jargon and mandates that few understand. This workshop will demystify this arena and the type of children in it. The class will provide a general overview of relevant issues and processes as well as a working understanding of federal mandates such as IDEA that govern these students. General education teachers as well as school counselors, social workers, parents and other individuals who work with students in special education, will benefit by knowing best practices and future trends.
- Define terminology and the assessment, identification, and placement process
- Evaluate legal mandates of IDEA and the continuum model of special education
- Synthesize various types of behavior and intervention strategies
- Design an IEP and behavior plan
- Identify effective strategies for parent/teacher partnerships